Below is some of the literature that this year's AY 2014 - 2015 FLC are reviewing related to developing a career advancement program for female faculty in mid-to-senior career levels. We will be adding more to this list throughout the year.
- Inadequate Progress for Women in Academic Medicine: Findings from the National Faculty Study. Carr, Phyllis (2015). Journal of Women's Health. Retrieved from http://www.liebertpub.com/.
- Rethink What You "Know" About High-Achieving Women. Ely, Robin (201). Harvard Business Review. Retrieved from hbr.org.
- Engaging Male Faculty, Bilen-Green, Canon. (2013). 120th ASEE Annual Conference & Exposition. Paper ID #5965.
- Leadership Moves: Developing Your Career Strategy, Skallerup Bessette, Lee. (2014). Women in Higher Education, 23(3), 1-2. Retrieved from: wihe.com
- Are Women Better Decision Makers? Huston, Therese (2014). New York Times.
Other Recommended Readings:
- Faculty Vitality, Ambrose, Susan A., Huston, Therese A., Norman, Marie. (2007). The Journal of Higher Education, Vol. 78, No. 5, 493-522. Retrieved from: http://www.jstor.org/stable/450122
- Diversity in the Academic Leadership of Big Ten and CIC Universities, Rutgers Institute for Womens Leadership (2014).
- North Eastern Universities' Summary of Mid Career Studies, Retrieved from: http://www.northeastern.edu/
- Removing the Barriers to Full Professor: A Mentoring Program for Associate Professors
Buch, Kimberly, Huet, Yvette. (2011). The Magazine of Higher Learning, 43:6, 38-45. DOI: 10.1080/00091383.2011.618081
Below is some of literature that the AY 2013 - 2014 FLC referenced throughout the year, helping inform their discussions around faculty mentoring and diverse hiring practices.
- Beyond Bias and Barriers: Fulfilling the Potential of Women in Academic Science and Engineering (2007). The National Academic Press.
- The Architecture of Inclusion: Advancing Workplace Equality in Higher Education (Strum, Susan. 2006), 29 Harv. J. of L. and Gender 249.
- The Difference: How the Power of Diversity Creates Better Groups, Firms, Schools and Societies (Page, Scott. 2007), Princeton University Press.
- Transforming Science and Engineering: Advancing Academic Women. (Stewart, A.J., Malley, J., & LaVaque-Manty, D. (Eds.). 2007), Ann Arbor, MI: The University of Michigan Press.
- Gender Differences in the Salaries of Physician Researchers. (Jagsi R, Griffith KA, Stewart A, Samvuco D, De Castro, R, Ubel, PA. 2012) Journal of the American Medical Association.
- Science and Engineering Indicators. (Digest 2014.) National Science Board. Arlington VA: National Science Foundation (NSB 14-02).
- Hand Book for Faculty Searches and Hiring
- Rhoten, Pfirman: Women in Interdisciplinary Science
- Sponsorship A Path to the Academic Medicine C suite for Women Faculty
- Strategies for Effective Mentoring and for Being Effectively Mentored a Focus on Ph.D. Granting Private Research Institutions
Other Recommended Readings (Model Mentoring Programs at Other Universities):
- MIT Mentoring Booklet
- Yale Women Faculty Forum: Exemplary Junior Faculty Mentoring Programs